Monday, June 17, 2013

Cross-Cultural Continues

This past weekend, between hitting up Guanajuato, a huge Mexican grocery and restaurant (Indianapolis people, they have massive tortas for $4.  Do it.), going to church in Spanish, stopping in at a Latino festival, and visiting a largely Hispanic indoor market, I found myself wishing my Spanish and/or cultural bravery were not so rusty.  How easily I forget what it feels like to be a minority or to fumble around in a language that's not my own.  Even in these places, how easy it is for me to use English and know that someone else will compensate.  And how easy it is to come back to the rest of Indianapolis, to the familiar, to where I don't stick out.  :/

2 comments:

  1. Pero te escuche hablando espanol esta fin de semana. :) pescado de arco?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how they say that the internet monitors you & tries to send ads that will be pertinent? I've somehow managed to have mostly Spanish ads pop up for me. Occasionally there is a French one in there too. I guess I've been looking up a lot of Hispanic stuff?

    ReplyDelete